Safecastle | One Shop For All Emergency Essentials: A Great Real-World Story of Some Salvaged 30-Year-Old Storage Food

Food Storage, Emergency Preparedness, MRE's, Freeze Dried Food, Water Storage, Dehydrated Food, Survival tips

Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Great Real-World Story of Some Salvaged 30-Year-Old Storage Food

I have to share this post by"Homesteader" on a thread of ours at The Tree of Liberty ... (see the whole thread here: http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2185977#post2185977 )

"A couple of years ago, I was able to salvage 3 pick up truck loads of 30 year old food storage that someone was taking to the dump.

"I brought it home to feed my chickens.

"It was an interesting lesson. They had several brands of freeze dried, dehydrated and grains stored with nitrogen that they had bought in the 1970's.

"The wheat was still good and I passed it on to a family for their food storage. 

"The survival seeds which said on the can that they were packed in nitrogen had been eaten by bugs IN THE CAN!!!

"Some off brand freeze dried stuff was as black as coal and I had to throw away.

"But ALL of the Mountain House stuff was good. The peas, green beans, corn, apples, pears, and plums were good enough that after opening a test can of each, I put in my food storage.

"I use to think that Mountain House was a little expensive but after seeing how the quality held up -- I'm a believer."

No comments: