Transcript of Rep. Ron Paul's May 25, 2011 speech on the floor of Congress (see video below):
The last nail is being driven into the coffin of the American Republic. Yet, Congress remains in total denial as our liberties are rapidly fading before our eyes. The process is propelled by unwarranted fear and ignorance as to the true meaning of liberty. It is driven by economic myths, fallacies and irrational good intentions. The rule of law is constantly rejected and authoritarian answers are offered as panaceas for all our problems. Runaway welfarism is used to benefit the rich at the expense of the middle class. Who would have ever thought that the current generation and Congress would stand idly by and watch such a rapid disintegration of the American Republic? Characteristic of this epic event is the casual acceptance by the people and political leaders of the unitary presidency, which is equivalent to granting dictatorial powers to the President.
Our Presidents can now, on their own:
1. Order assassinations, including American citizens,
2. Operate secret military tribunals,
3. Engage in torture,
4. Enforce indefinite imprisonment without due process,
5. Order searches and seizures without proper warrants, gutting the 4th Amendment,
6. Ignore the 60 day rule for reporting to the Congress the nature of any military operations as required by the War Power Resolution,
7. Continue the Patriot Act abuses without oversight,
8. Wage war at will,
9. Treat all Americans as suspected terrorists at airports with TSA groping and nude x-raying.
And the Federal Reserve accommodates by counterfeiting the funds needed and not paid for by taxation and borrowing, permitting runaway spending, endless debt, and special interest bail-outs.
And all of this is not enough. The abuses and usurpations of the war power are soon to be codified in the National Defense Authorization Act now rapidly moving its way through the Congress. Instead of repealing the 2001 Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF), as we should, now that bin Laden is dead and gone, Congress is planning to massively increase the war power of the President. Though an opportunity presents itself to end the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, Congress, with bipartisan support, obsesses on how to expand the unconstitutional war power the President already holds.
The current proposal would allow a President to pursue war any time, any place, for any reason, without Congressional approval. Many believe this would even permit military activity against American suspects here at home. The proposed authority does not reference the 9/11 attacks. It would be expanded to include the Taliban and "associated" forces—a dangerously vague and expansive definition of our potential enemies. There is no denial that the changes in s.1034 totally eliminate the hard-fought-for restraint on Presidential authority to go to war without Congressional approval achieved at the Constitutional Convention. Congress' war authority has been severely undermined since World War II beginning with the advent of the Korean War which was fought solely under a UN Resolution. Even today, we're waging war in Libya without even consulting with the Congress, similar to how we went to war in Bosnia in the 1990s under President Clinton.
The three major reasons for our Constitutional Convention were to:
1. Guarantee free trade and travel among the states.
2. Make gold and silver legal tender and abolish paper money.
3. Strictly limit the Executive Branch's authority to pursue war without Congressional approval.
1. Federal Reserve notes are legal tender, gold and silver are illegal.
2. The Interstate Commerce Clause is used to regulate all commerce at the expense of free trade among the states.
3. And now the final nail is placed in the coffin of Congressional responsibility for the war power, delivering this power completely to the President—a sharp and huge blow to the concept of our Republic.
In my view, it appears that the fate of the American Republic is now sealed—unless these recent trends are quickly reversed.
The saddest part of this tragedy is that all these horrible changes are being done in the name of patriotism and protecting freedom. They are justified by good intentions while believing the sacrifice of liberty is required for our safety. Nothing could be further from the truth.
More sadly is the conviction that our enemies are driven to attack us for our freedoms and prosperity, and not because of our deeply flawed foreign policy that has generated justifiable grievances and has inspired the radical violence against us. Without this understanding our endless, unnamed, and undeclared wars will continue and our wonderful experience with liberty will end.
"When asked if this is an end of the world scenario, the hedge-fund manager replied, 'It really is. I tell my fiancée this from time to time, and I’ve stopped telling her this, because it’s not the most pleasant thought.’"
We're offering 7 new variety food packages that are in stock now and shipping promptly. Supplies are limited. If these appeal, act quickly to ensure you get what you want.
Best of all--these are all sale-priced (additional member discounts are not available for some of them--check the listings).
1. We have in stock our first shipment of a new line of canned, fully cooked, wet-pack meats. The Keystone brand is well-known and relied upon in multiple marketplaces for providing a great variety of meats that store for 10-15 years or more.
Our listing for a case of Keystone meats offers you excellent flexibility in customizing your case(s) to include your choice of up to three different meats (out of five available) in a 12-can case. (Note that, in case these go fast, we will be getting another shipment in in about 10 days, at a somewhat higher cost.)
2. We're making available a special, economical butter and cheese combo case. In each combo case, you receive twelve 12-oz. cans of Red Feather butter and 36 two-ounce, single-serving cans of Bega cheese. Bega and Red Feather are brands processed and canned by a company in Australia for long-term storage without refrigeration.
3. Five more new, unique food-product bundles are also now available and on sale. They include more foods than we can mention here, so please look them over here. We even have a Pet Lovers bundle at 25% off.
(And I'll also point out again--our best food package deal at the moment remains our USS Food Bundle. Some of the foods in this particular package may be delayed up to a month in arriving to your doorstep.)
Mountain House Foods
Update on Mountain House foods ... the canned food cases we put up for sale a couple of weeks ago should all have been delivered by now. We do have another quantity of MH cans inbound which should be listed for sale sometime next week. (This time, they will be on the floor here before they go live. Stay tuned.)
As for pouches--MH is having a very difficult time now with keeping their pouch foods in stock and available for drop shipping. So be advised--if you order MH pouches, you may have a bit of a wait on some of the varieties.
FYI, Safecastle affiliates earn a generous minimum commission of 5%. Our average transaction is $170.00, and transactions of well over $1000 are very common, so if you have decent site traffic and you promote us a bit using our supplied ads, you just may find yourself with some extra spending money.
Renowned financial adviser Martin Weiss has three warnings for Americans about crises that are about to drastically change just about everything about our way of life. Yes--it's an "advertorial," but very much worth watching.